Prenatal education is a helpful way to gather up-to-date information to help you make decisions and feel ready to give birth. Health and prenatal educators, knowledge keepers, and elders can help you learn about how to have a healthy and safe pregnancy and parenting a baby.
Among other things, prenatal education gives you and your family information on:
- How to keep healthy during pregnancy
- What to expect during labour and birth
- Relaxation strategies and other ways to help you feel more comfortable during labour
- Infant care and feeding
- Changes you might experience after the baby arrives
- Traditional and cultural practices related to birth
Prenatal education and classes are offered in many locations and communities across the province. The classes may be in person or online. Some classes may be free and others will have costs. It is encouraged that you attend prenatal education and classes in your local area and home community.
Prenatal education classes and information may also include a tour of your local birthing facility.
To find out about prenatal education and parenting class in your community you can call your local public health office or First Nation. Contact information can be found at: Public Health Office link & First Nation Profiles Interactive Map
There are resources available in Saskatchewan and online as well. You and your family may choose to read and access information online or in the links provided below.
Available Prenatal Education and Information Online
The Health Eating Team located in Northern Saskatchewan has resources and educational videos for you and your family.
The Prenatal Education YouTube Series provides you and your family short videos that provide prenatal education and are free classes developed by a local prenatal educator.
We appreciate your feedback! Please take a moment to complete a short survey to tell us about your experience with the Saskatchewan Health Authority Prenatal Education Video Series. The survey will take just a few minutes to complete.
For more information about prenatal classes in specific location go to the Location Specific Information.
Available Prenatal Education and Information Links
1. Saskatchewan Prevention Institute Your Pregnancy: Important Topics. This resource includes information about pregnancy and reviews information on the changes at each month of pregnancy.
2. Saskatchewan Prevention Institute My Pregnancy app. This app offers daily pregnancy tips, tracks health, and has videos on pregnancy and baby’s growth. You can create personalize to do lists, journal entries, and health care providers, services and programming in your area.
3. Baby’s Best Chance. Parents’ Handbook of Pregnancy and Baby Care. This book is developed by the Perinatal Services BC and the British Columbia Ministry of Health. You can download the complete hand book in English, Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Punjabi, Spanish or Tagalog.
4. Best Start Prenatal Education Program This education program has 11 modules and covers a variety of prenatal, birth, and parenting topics.
Sources of Medical Information
- The Public Health Agency of Canada’s booklet: The Sensible Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
- The Public Health Agency of Canada also has information online about infant care and safe sleep for your baby
- The Government of Saskatchewan has information online about caring for your baby
- The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC) also has a website that provides information about preparing for a healthy pregnancy, pregnancy, birth and after baby is born.
- The Canadian Paediatric Society also has information regarding pregnancy and infant health on their Caring for Kids website.